HealthGrades Names The Medical Center of Southeast Texas 5-Star Rated for Treatment of Stroke in 2012
November 21, 2011
Port Arthur, TX – A report recently released by HealthGrades, the nation’s most trusted, independent source of physician information and hospital quality ratings, named The Medical Center of Southeast Texas the only hospital in the Beaumont/Port Arthur Region to be 5-Star Rated for the Treatment of Stroke in 2012. Choosing a hospital can be a life or death decision. HealthGrades report found that patients treated at 5-star rated hospitals experience a 73% lower risk of mortality and a 63% lower risk of complications compared to 1-star rated hospitals. A quality comparison of doctors and hospitals in Texas can be found online at HealthGrades.com, Beaumont/Port Arthur Area Info.
“With health care reform accelerating the focus on quality and patient outcomes, it is more important than ever for hospitals to explore ways to improve care and reduce preventable errors. HealthGrades is the perfect tool to provide both the consumer and hospitals pertinent information regarding the quality that is measured and publicized to our community,” said Matt Roberts, Chief Executive Officer of The Medical Center of Southeast Texas.
“Patients today have a wide array options when it comes to choosing a healthcare provider,” said Kerry Hicks, HealthGrades chief executive officer. “At HealthGrades, we are proud to have led the way for empowering patient choice based on objective clinical outcomes and access to actionable quality measures. We commend The Medical Center of Southeast Texas for its superior quality and support of consumerism and transparency in the Beaumont/Port Arthur Area.”
The Medical Center of Southeast Texas is also a recipient of the following:
- Five-Star rated for Hip Fracture Treatment in 2012
- The only hospital in the Beaumont/Port Arthur Region to be 5-Star rated in Carotid Surgery for 8 Years in a Row (2005-2012)
Key findings of the HealthGrades 2011 Healthcare Consumerism and Hospital Quality in America report include:
- If all Medicare patients from 2008 through 2010 had been treated at 5-star hospitals, 240,040 lives could have potentially been saved.
- If all Medicare patients from 2008 through 2010 had gone to 5-star hospitals for their procedure, 164,472 inhospital complications could have potentially been avoided.
- In an online survey, 80% said they are very or somewhat concerned about the quality of hospital care in their community.
- In an online survey, 42% of HealthGrades visitors said that they believe their chances of experiencing an unexpected death or complication is higher in some hospitals in their community compared to others.
About The Medical Center
The Medical Center of Southeast Texas is a 224-bed hospital providing a full range of hospital services to Port Arthur and the surrounding communities. The hospital is part of IASIS Healthcare® LLC, a leading owner and operator of hospitals with facilities in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Louisiana, Nevada, Texas and Utah.
HealthGrades is America's most trusted, independent source of physician information and hospital quality outcomes. HealthGrades online properties are the nation's leading destination for physician search and empower more than 170 million consumers annually to make informed healthcare decisions.